- 1 1/2 cups unsifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (see Tip)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 pints strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
To make cake: Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Dust pan with flour, tilting to coat evenly and tapping out the excess. Line bottom with parchment or wax paper. Coat paper with cooking spray.
Combine flour, almonds, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a food processor or blender. Process until almonds are ground.
Combine buttermilk, oil and vanilla and almond extracts in a measuring cup.
Combine eggs, 3 egg whites and 1 1/4 cups sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed until mixture is thick and pale, about 5 minutes. The beaters should leave a ribbon trail when lifted. Alternately fold reserved dry ingredients and buttermilk mixture into egg mixture with a rubber spatula, making 3 additions of dry ingredients and 2 additions of liquid.
Gently spread batter in prepared pan and tap the pan once on the counter to release air bubbles. Bake until top springs back when lightly touched and cake shrinks away slightly from sides of pan, about 45 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Loosen edges of cake from pan, remove pan rim and invert cake onto rack. Remove pan bottom, peel off paper and let cool completely.
To prepare berries: Toss strawberries with 2 tablespoons sugar in a large bowl. Set aside.
To make vanilla cream: Chill a medium mixing bowl. Meanwhile, sprinkle gelatin over 1 tablespoon water in a small bowl; let stand for 1 minute.
Bring about 1 inch of water to a simmer in a large saucepan. Adjust heat so water barely simmers. Combine 3 egg whites, 1/4 cup sugar, cream of tartar and softened gelatin in a heatproof mixing bowl large enough to fit over the saucepan. Set the bowl over the simmering water and beat with an electric mixer at low speed until an instant-read thermometer registers 140°F. (This will take 3 to 5 minutes.)
10. Increase mixer speed to high and continue beating over the heat for 3 1/2 minutes. Remove bowl from heat and beat meringue until completely cooled, about 4 minutes more.
11. Combine cream and vanilla in the chilled bowl and beat with electric mixer at medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold one-fourth of the meringue into the cream. Gently fold in remaining meringue.
13. To assemble cake: No more than 2 hours before serving, place the cake on a serving plate. Slice cake horizontally into 2 layers with a serrated knife. Carefully lift off top layer. Spoon half the berries and all
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 364
- Carbohydrates: 57g
- Fat: 12g
- Protein: 8g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 52mg
- Potassium: 268mg
- Sodium: 333mg
- Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 4