- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 red onion, chopped, divided
- 3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, (2 14-ounce cans), divided
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground red chile, or chili powder
- 1 15-ounce c yellow or white hominy,, rinsed
- 1 15-ounce c black beans, rinsed
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 1 cup shredded green cabbage
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Toast oregano in a small dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, about 30 to 40 seconds. Transfer to a saucer to cool.
Combine 1 teaspoon toasted oregano with 1/4 cup onion and set aside.
Combine the remaining onion with 1/4 cup broth and salt. Cover and cook over medium heat until the onion is translucent, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oregano and ground chile (or chili powder) and cook for 1 minute. Add hominy and the remaining 3 1/4 cups broth, bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes. Add black beans and chicken, return to a simmer and cook until the chicken is no longer pink in the center, about 5 minutes.
Serve in bowls, garnished with shredded cabbage, the reserved onion-oregano mixture and a squeeze of lime juice.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 280
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fat: 3g
- Protein: 28g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Potassium: 248mg
- Sodium: 432mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 4 very lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2