- 4 corn tortillas
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 2 small red bell peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 4-ounce ca chopped green chiles
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 14-ounce c reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 15-ounce c white hominy, rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 lime wedges
Place a tortilla directly on a stovetop burner set at medium-low and toast, turning frequently with tongs, until light golden and fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds. Repeat with remaining tortillas. Cut tortillas into 1-inch-wide strips and set aside.
Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon oil to pan. Add bell peppers and onion; season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add chiles, garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chicken broth and milk and bring to a simmer, stirring. Stir in reserved tortilla strips, chicken and hominy.
Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and chili has thickened, about 20 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup cilantro. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve with remaining cilantro and lime wedges.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 251
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fat: 6g
- Protein: 18g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 37mg
- Potassium: 265mg
- Sodium: 313mg
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2