- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 2 1/2-inch-long matchsticks
- 2 large heads radicchio, cored and sliced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 14-ounce c reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine or spaghetti
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for cooking pasta. Place a pasta-serving bowl and 4 individual pasta bowls in a warm oven.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring, until tender and fragrant but not brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Add prosciutto and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add radicchio, increase heat to medium and cook, turning with tongs, until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with pepper.
Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until radicchio is tender, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place in the warm serving bowl. Add sauce and 1/4 cup Parmesan; toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately, passing remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 362
- Carbohydrates: 61g
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 19g
- Dietary Fiber: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Potassium: 378mg
- Sodium: 497mg
- Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3