- 1 cup basmati rice
- 3 teaspoons canola oil
- 6 skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 2 cups finely chopped onions, (about 3 medium onions)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoon curry powder, preferably Madras
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne), or to taste
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce c chickpeas, rinsed (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 14-ounce c diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro, (optional)
- Lime wedges for garnish
Preheat oven to 400°F. Soak rice in cold water for 20 minutes. Drain.
Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
Reduce the heat to low, add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil and heat until hot. Add onions and cook, stirring, until light golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in garlic, ginger, curry powder, coriander and ground red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Increase the heat to medium-high; stir in broth, chickpeas, tomatoes and the soaked and drained rice; bring to a simmer. Nestle the browned chicken pieces in the rice. Cover and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
Remove the chicken pieces and stir peas into the rice. Season with salt and pepper. Set the chicken back on the rice, and sprinkle with cilantro, if using. Serve with lime wedges.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 258
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 17g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 38mg
- Potassium: 304mg
- Sodium: 273mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2