- 1 lemon, halved
- 2 large artichokes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups shelled fresh peas, (about 3 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced prosciutto, or ham (2 ounces)
- 1 14-ounce c reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat orecchiette, or penne
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
Fill a medium bowl with cold water. Squeeze the lemon juice into the water and add lemon halves. Snap off all the outer leaves of the artichokes. With a paring knife, trim the bottom 1/4 inch off the stems. Pare away the fibrous green portions, down to the hearts. With a melon baller or spoon, scoop out the fuzzy chokes. Cut stems and hearts into 1/4-inch-thick slices and drop into lemon water.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Drain the artichokes and add to the pan. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add peas, ham and broth. Cover and simmer until the artichokes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in parsley and season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and place in a large warmed bowl. Add the pea mixture and 1/4 cup Parmesan and toss. Pass remaining cheese separately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 421
- Carbohydrates: 67g
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 20g
- Dietary Fiber: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Potassium: 434mg
- Sodium: 588mg
- Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 4