- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 14-ounce c whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, juice reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until well browned, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juice and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is slightly thickened, 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, cook tortellini until al dente, about 5 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with tomato sauce and basil. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately, passing the Parmesan.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 317
- Carbohydrates: 48g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 9g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Potassium: 79mg
- Sodium: 273mg
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3