- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce, (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot chile oil
- 12 ounces flank steak, trimmed
- 8 cups watercress, or spinach, trimmed, rinsed and dried
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small stal lemongrass, trimmed and chopped
- 4 tablespoon chopped shallot, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh mint
To prepare steak: Combine lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce and chile oil in a large sealable plastic bag. Add steak and seal the bag, turning to coat the meat with the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator, turning the bag occasionally, for 4 hours.
Meanwhile, prepare vinaigrette: Combine broth, lemongrass and 2 tablespoons shallot in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Strain into a small bowl, discarding solids. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons shallot, lime juice, fish sauce, soy sauce, sugar and chile oil; whisk to combine. Just before serving, stir in cilantro and mint.
Preheat grill to high.
Remove the steak from the marinade (discard marinade). Grill the steak, 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice thinly on the diagonal, across the grain.
To prepare salad: Toss watercress (or spinach), cucumber, carrot, cilantro and mint with 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette in a large shallow bowl. Arrange the steak over the greens. Spoon the remaining vinaigrette over the top and serve.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 224
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 28g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Potassium: 749mg
- Sodium: 715mg
- Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2