- 12 ounces ground lamb
- 12 ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 cup fresh whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup minced onion, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 4 tablespoon chopped fresh mint, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 28-ounce c crushed tomatoes
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
Combine lamb, turkey, breadcrumbs, egg white, 1/2 cup onion, half the garlic, 2 tablespoons mint, coriander, cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Gently mix to combine. Shape into 48 little meatballs, about 1 tablespoon each. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake the meatballs for 10 minutes. Set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the remaining 1/2 cup onion and cook, stirring, until golden, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the remaining garlic, wine, cayenne and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Simmer over medium-low heat until the wine has reduced significantly, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, return to a simmer, reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 20 minutes.
Add the meatballs to the sauce and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes. Garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons mint.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 178
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 13g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Potassium: 333mg
- Sodium: 275mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1