The Lifestyle and Weight Management Consultant (LWMC) Exam Review Course is a college course designed to help students prepare for the ACE LWMC Certification Exam. Based on the ACE LWMC Manual, this course will help students master the necessary information and theories of successful lifestyle modification for professional fitness consultants. The following objectives will be covered:
Foundational Knowledge: Applied Science
- Learn the structure and function of several bodily systems, including the cardiovascular, respiratory, digestive, skeletal, neuromuscular, muscular, and endocrine systems.
- Understand the fundamentals of applied kinesiology, including the biomechanical principles of human movement, kinesiology of the upper and lower extremities and the spine and pelvis, and obesity-related biomechanics.
- Learn the body’s acute responses and chronic adaptations to exercise training as well as hormonal responses to exercise and environmental considerations when exercising.
- Understand the application of nutrition as it relates to nutritional requirements for fitness and sport, nutritional needs throughout the lifecycle, and nutritional considerations specific health conditions (such as obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, cancer, and osteoporosis).
- Learn the importance of a thorough screening and assessment as well as specific issues related to the assessment and screening of LWMC clients.
- Understand the principles and application of body composition assessment, body-composition assessment techniques, and approaches to discussing results with clients.
- Learn strategies and techniques for building rapport and enhancing communication with clients as well as group consulting while staying within the scope of practice of an LWMC.
- Learn strategies and techniques for making appropriate client referrals and the fundamentals of writing SOAP notes.
Program Development and Implementation
- Comprehend effective weight-management principles and understand behavioral change as it relates to safe and effective weight loss in overweight and obese individuals.
- Gain knowledge of strategies for SMART goal setting, using health assessment and screening data to develop exercise programs, and general and specific exercise precautions and modifications.
- Understand strategies and techniques for implementing a nutrition program and addressing a client’s nutritional needs while staying within the LWMC’s scope of practice.
- Learn the principles of lifestyle modification and lifestyle modification strategies as well as how to implement a lifestyle-modification program.
Program Modification and Adherence
- Gain an understanding of the theories of motivated behavior change, correlates of sustained physical activity and weight-loss behaviors, methods to improve adherence to exercise and maintenance of weight loss, and considerations for professional practice.
- Understand the principles of health behavior psychology, including determinants of behavior, behavioral theory models, principles of behavior change, and the fundamentals of adherence and motivation.
- Gain knowledge of exercise for individuals with medical conditions, such as cardiovascular disorders, hypertension, peripheral vascular disease, diabetes, asthma, osteoporosis, low-back pain, and arthritis.
- Understand exercise programming guidelines for special population groups, including obese individuals, older adults, youth, and pregnant women.
- Gain a basic understanding of the legal system (including legal concepts and defenses) as well as the legal and professional responsibilities of the ACE-LWMC.
- Learn fundamental professional concepts, such as the difference between an employee and an independent contractor, how to avoid liability claims, and professional ethics.