- 1 1/4 cups fresh pearl onions, or frozen small whole onions
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups pomegranate juice
- 3/4 cup pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup dried apricots
- 15 sprigs cilantro, tied with kitchen string
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds, for garnish
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds, (1 large fruit, see Tip) for garnish
Preheat oven to 350°F.
If using fresh pearl onions, cook in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain. Peel when cool enough to handle. If using frozen onions, rinse under warm water to thaw.
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add ginger and pepper; cook, stirring, until fragrant and beginning to foam, about 1 minute. Add chicken and onions; stir to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to turn golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Add pomegranate juice, prunes, apricots, cilantro and salt; bring to a simmer. Cover tightly with foil and then with a lid. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove lid and foil. Discard cilantro. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, about 10 minutes longer.
Meanwhile, toast sesame seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until light golden and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl to cool.
To serve, spoon the tagine into a serving bowl or onto plates. Garnish with sesame seeds and pomegranate seeds.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 432
- Carbohydrates: 64g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 30g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 118mg
- Potassium: 1170mg
- Sodium: 432mg
- Exchanges: 2 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 4 lean protein, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2