- 3 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Note)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups cranberries, fresh or frozen, thawed, coarsely chopped (see Tip)
- 1/3 cup pistachios, preferably unsalted, chopped and toasted (see Tip)
To prepare crust: Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Coat an 8-inch-square baking pan with cooking spray.
Beat butter, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar and brown sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until creamy. Stir in whole-wheat flour, 1/3 cup all-purpose flour and salt until well combined (the mixture will still be crumbly). Evenly press the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Bake until just barely golden around the edges, 10 to 12 minutes.
To prepare topping: Combine 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Add egg, egg white, orange zest and juice; stir until blended and smooth.
Sprinkle cranberries over the baked crust. Pour the orange mixture over the cranberries and sprinkle with pistachios.
Bake until golden and set, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack; if possible, chill before cutting into squares.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 126
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fat: 4g
- Protein: 2g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- Potassium: 58mg
- Sodium: 44mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2