- 1 cup all-purpose, flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, (not Dutch-process)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1 15-ounce c unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoon mini chocolate chips, or toasted chopped nuts (see Tip)
To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray.
Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a medium bowl.
Blend 1 cup buttermilk, pumpkin puree and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed. Beat in whole egg and egg white. Stir in oil, corn syrup and vanilla. Gradually add the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
Bake the cake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on the rack, about 2 hours.
To glaze & garnish cake: Combine confectioners' sugar and 1 tablespoon buttermilk in a small bowl, stirring until completely smooth. Place the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the glaze over the top; garnish with chocolate chips (or chopped nuts) while the glaze is still moist.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 234
- Carbohydrates: 46g
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 4g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Potassium: 159mg
- Sodium: 689mg
- Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3