- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 8-ounce ca chickpeas, rinsed (3/4 cup)
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 4-ounce ja chopped pimientos, rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of saffron
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2 pounds mussels, scrubbed and debearded (see Tip)
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Add chickpeas, tomatoes, onion, garlic and pimentos. Cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes.
Stir in oregano, pepper and saffron. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Pour in broth and sherry, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
Add mussels and stir to combine. Return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the mussels open, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir; discard any unopened mussels before serving.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 371
- Carbohydrates: 39g
- Fat: 10g
- Protein: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Potassium: 729mg
- Sodium: 619mg
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 4 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: