- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 14-ounce c reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup white rice
- 1 28-ounce c crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 6 3/4-inch-t baguette, preferably whole-grain
- 3 tablespoon shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in broth, water and rice; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is very tender, about 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Stir tomatoes, tofu and vinegar into the soup. Remove from the heat and puree, in batches, in a blender. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Return the soup to the pot and reheat over medium-high heat, stirring often.
Meanwhile, top slices of baguette with mozzarella and place on a baking sheet. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Ladle soup into bowls and top each serving with a cheesy crostini.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 218
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 8g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Potassium: 478mg
- Sodium: 355mg
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 medium-fat meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2