- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bulb fennel, quartered, cored and thinly sliced, plus 1 tablespoon chopped feathery tops for garnish
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breast, very thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 6-1/2-inch whole-wheat pitas, or eight 4-inch whole-wheat pitas
- 1 cup shredded provolone cheese
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 500°F.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and bell pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add chicken and cook another 5 minutes, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through.
Place pitas on a baking sheet and top each with an equal portion of the chicken and vegetable mixture; sprinkle with cheese and pepper. Bake until the cheese melts and turns golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped fennel tops and serve warm.
- Serving: Per serving (6 1/2-inch p
- Calories: 447
- Carbohydrates: 53g
- Fat: 13g
- Protein: 30g
- Dietary Fiber: 10g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Potassium: 416mg
- Sodium: 660mg
- Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 medium fat meats
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3