- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 medium apple, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups diced, cooked, skinless turkey, or chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
Place sweet potatoes in a medium saucepan, cover with lightly salted water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 3 minutes. Add apple and cook until everything is just tender, but not mushy, 2 to 3 minutes longer. Drain.
Transfer 1 cup of the mixture to a large bowl; mash. Stir in sour cream and lemon juice. Add the remaining unmashed mixture and stir gently to mix. Set aside.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add turkey (or chicken), thyme, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
Add the reserved sweet potato mixture to the pan; stir to mix. Press on the hash with a wide metal spatula; cook until the bottom is lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Cut the hash into several rough sections; flip and cook until the undersides are browned, about 3 minutes longer. Serve immediately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 214
- Carbohydrates: 15g
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 23g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 56mg
- Potassium: 483mg
- Sodium: 262mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 3 very lean protein, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1