- 8 medium clo garlic, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mace
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 4-pound boneless leg of lamb, butterflied and trimmed (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup tahini, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
- 6 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt, preferably Greek-style
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Mince 6 garlic cloves. Place in a small bowl with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and mash into a paste using the back of a spoon. Stir in oil, mace, cardamom, paprika, cinnamon, cumin and cayenne until combined.
Open lamb so it’s flat, with the cut side up. Spread three-quarters of the spice paste over the cut surface. Roll the lamb closed and tie in several places so it is about the shape of a large football. Spread the remaining paste over the outside. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Mince the remaining 2 garlic cloves. Combine with the remaining 1 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl with lemon juice, tahini, parsley, yogurt, water and pepper. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
About 20 minutes before you are ready to grill, preheat a gas grill (with all burners lit) to 400°F or build a fire in a charcoal grill and let it burn down to medium heat (about 400°F).
If using a gas grill, turn off one burner (leaving 1 to 2 burners lit, depending on your grill). If using a charcoal grill, move the coals to one side. Place the lamb on the unheated side of the grill rack. Close the lid and roast undisturbed for 30 minutes.
Rotate the lamb 180 degrees, cover and continue roasting until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the meat registers 140°F (for medium-rare) to 145° (for medium), 20 to 40 minutes more. Transfer to a clean cutting board; let stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with the tahini sauce.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 257
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fat: 14g
- Protein: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 76mg
- Potassium: 377mg
- Sodium: 551mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 3 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 0