- 1 head garlic
- 4 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon p salt, divided
- 2 cups baby mizuna, baby kale or Asian salad mix
- 2 cups baby red mustard greens, tatsoi or watercress, any tough stems removed
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted (see Tip)
To prepare dressing: Preheat oven to 400°F.
Rub excess papery skin off garlic head without separating cloves. Slice the tip off, exposing the ends of the cloves. Place the garlic head on a piece of foil, drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and wrap into a package. Put in a baking dish and bake until the garlic is very soft, 40 minutes to 1 hour. Unwrap and let cool slightly. Increase oven temperature to 450ºF.
Squeeze the garlic pulp into a blender or food processor (discard the skins). Add the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, lime juice, vinegar, ginger, sesame oil and soy sauce; blend or process until smooth. Season with pepper.
To prepare salad: Toss asparagus with 2 teaspoons oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl. Spread in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once halfway through, until tender and browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, season a wooden salad bowl by rubbing with 1/2 clove garlic and a pinch of salt. Chop the garlic and add to the bowl along with all the greens. (If leaves are large, tear them into bite-size pieces first.) Pour 1/4 cup of the dressing over the greens. (Cover and refrigerate the remaining 1/2 cup dressing for up to 3 days.) Sprinkle the salad with sesame seeds and the asparagus; toss and serve.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 143
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 4g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Potassium: 422mg
- Sodium: 246mg
- Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1