- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup carrot juice
- 2 tablespoon golden raisins
- 2 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cubed whole-wheat or multigrain bread
- 1/2 small clov garlic
- 4 cups baby beet greens, baby chard or baby spinach
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup shredded smoked cheese, such as Cheddar
To prepare vinaigrette: Heat mustard seeds, coriander and cumin in a small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add carrot juice and simmer over medium heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes.
Place raisins in a blender and add the hot juice. Let stand for 5 minutes to plump the raisins. Then add vinegar, cilantro, yogurt, honey, crushed red pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper and blend until combined. Pour in 1/4 cup oil and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
To prepare croutons: Preheat oven to 375°F.
Toss bread and 1 tablespoon oil in a medium bowl until well combined. Spread in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Bake, stirring once, until golden and crisp, 12 to 15 minutes.
To prepare salad: Season a wooden salad bowl by rubbing with garlic and pinch of salt. Chop the garlic and add to the bowl along with greens. Pour 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette over the greens. (Cover and refrigerate the remaining 1/2 cup vinaigrette for up to 3 days.) Sprinkle the salad with cranberries, cheese and the croutons; toss and serve.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 183
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 4g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 7g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Potassium: 173mg
- Sodium: 242mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fruit, 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1