- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chopped plum tomatoes, with juices
- 6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 4 4-inch-squ foccacia bread, (about 2 ounces each), toasted
To prepare marinara: Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cover and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in fresh tomatoes and any juices, sun-dried tomatoes, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes have broken down, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in basil and remove from the heat. Transfer to a food processor and pulse to form a coarse-textured sauce. Return to the pan and set aside.
To prepare burgers: Place turkey, scallions, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, lemon zest, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Gently combine, without overmixing, until evenly incorporated. Form into 8 thin patties about 4-inches wide and 3/8 inch thick.
Combine 1/4 cup cheese and basil and place an equal amount in the center of 4 patties. Cover with the remaining patties and crimp the edges closed.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat (see Grilling Variation). Add burgers and cook, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, 8 to 10 minutes total.
Warm the marinara on the stove. To assemble the burgers, spread 3 tablespoons of marinara on each toasted focaccia, top with a burger, about 3 more tablespoons of marinara and 1 tablespoon of the remaining cheese.
Grilling Variation: To grill the turkey burgers, preheat a grill to medium-high. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the patties, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 165°F, 8 to 10 minutes total.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 299
- Carbohydrates: 14g
- Fat: 15g
- Protein: 28g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 5g
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- Potassium: 382mg
- Sodium: 706mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1