- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 pound tuna steaks, 1 inch thick, cut into 4 portions
- 3 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 6 cups arugula, stems removed
- 2 ripe plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut lengthwise into thin strips
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, slivered
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, slivered
To make vinaigrette: Whisk oil, vinegar, shallot and garlic in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
To make salad: Rub oil all over tuna. Sprinkle the tuna with salt and pepper. Press about 1 teaspoon thyme leaves into each side.
Heat a large heavy skillet (not nonstick) over high heat until very hot. Add the tuna and sear until browned and crusted on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn the tuna over and cook until browned, about 2 minutes more for medium-rare.
Meanwhile, combine arugula, tomatoes, basil and mint in a large bowl. Toss with reserved dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning.
Slice the tuna into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Divide the salad among 4 plates, mounding it to one side. Fan the tuna slices around the salad. Serve immediately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 266
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fat: 14g
- Protein: 28g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 43mg
- Potassium: 546mg
- Sodium: 203mg
- Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2