- 1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter, softened
- 8 slices thin whole-wheat or white sandwich bread
- 3 tablespoon bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon chopped toasted hazelnuts, (optional)
Heat evaporated milk just until boiling. Add chocolate, let stand for 1 minute, then whisk until smooth. Let cool slightly.
Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread. Divide the chocolate mixture on the unbuttered side of 4 slices, leaving a little border. Press chocolate chips and nuts, if using, into the chocolate. Cover with the remaining slices of bread, buttered-side up, and press lightly.
Cook the sandwiches in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn over, press with a spatula, and cook until nicely browned and the chocolate is barely melted, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Serve warm.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 151
- Carbohydrates: 21g
- Fat: 7g
- Protein: 4g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 6mg
- Potassium: 28mg
- Sodium: 131mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2