As a Weight Management Specialist, you’ll increase your market value to the
67 percent of U.S. adults classified as either overweight or obese, and the thousands of athletes who need help managing their weight for performance reasons. Building your expertise in proper nutrition and hydration strategies will help you connect with people who want to lose weight, build muscle, decrease their body fat, improve their overall health and achieve long-term success, no matter where they are on their fitness journey.
Our Weight Management Specialty Certification is designed for fitness professionals or members of allied health who want to address weight management by going beyond exercise programming. The curriculum will help a wide range of professionals – from current and aspiring health coaches to nurses – understand how to motivate people to change behaviors that have kept them from reaching their weight-related goals.
Our team of experts developed specialty certifications based on public demand and the knowledge they believed a well-rounded specialist should possess. Requirements for each specialty certification include a blend of courses created by ACE and those developed by our educational partners.
You must complete each of the courses described below. As you move through the required curriculum, you will earn continuing education credits (CECs) for each component. CECs will be added to your MyACE account as you go, allowing you to apply them to your current recertification requirements.
Once you complete all of the courses, you will automatically be updated in our system as an ACE specialist and a specialty certification will be uploaded into your My ACE account. Our specialty certifications do not expire. Purchase price includes all materials and the specialty certification itself.
Empowering your clients to make long-term behavior change requires much more than just designing an exercise program. In this course, you’ll explore how to help them set meaningful, valuable goals by asking questions to determine whether they have a personal stake in their accomplishments. You’ll also review theories on behavior change and the principles of lifestyle modification, as well as strategies to implement them in relation to physical activity and weight management. Understanding self-monitoring and relapse prevention techniques for health enhancement will help you improve client adherence.
You will learn:
- Why goals are essential to executing behavioral change
- Principles of lifestyle modification
- To explain and implement effective lifestyle-modification strategies to improve adherence and facilitate weight loss
- Considerations for professional practice, including effective counseling skills, ethics and behavior measurement
When clients have lived most of their life either overweight or on an unhealthy track, the same strategies you use to design exercise programs for other clients may not apply. In this course, you’ll explore principles, strategies and techniques for exercise program design and implementation for clients who need to change the way they live or manage their weight. Learn methods that will improve their adherence and behavior change theories that will help them achieve and maintain a healthy bodyweight.
You will learn:
- Criteria for client referral to other appropriate health care providers
- Relationship between sustained physical activity and weight-loss behavior
- How to explain and implement effective exercise program design strategies for weight loss
- Strategies to improve adherence to exercise and maintenance of weight loss
Work with chronic dieters more effectively by providing practical strategies and techniques for breaking the diet failure cycle and achieving lasting fitness and health. Discover the Health At Every Size (HAES) philosophy and how to offer new strategies for building momentum and support for a non-diet approach to food, exercise, self-image and lifestyle.
You will learn:
- Why dieting may fail to produce long-term weight loss
- 10 alternative goals to weight loss as indicators of improved health
- Therapeutic and lifestyle situations conducive to a non-diet approach
- Role of carbohydrates and protein in appetite control
- Role of fluids in the body and three common ways they’re misused
- Indicators of a lifestyle shift other than weight loss
Updated information on weight management using the highly acclaimed HUGS plan for teenagers. Provides proven, practical strategies and techniques to work with this problem population, using the nondiet approach which incorporates food, fitness, and lifestyle. The authors originated the HUGS program, and wrote a lecture on nondiet strategies for weight management. Essential for working in weight control and school fitness programs.
With childhood obesity rates consistently rising, the need to instill healthy eating habits among children is essential. Learn activities that parents, daycare providers, pre-school administrators and teachers can incorporate into daily routines for young children. And discover elements of child psychology you can employ to get children moving and eating healthy. Learn strategies specific that turn children into healthy adults from a developer of the KID-FIT® pre-school fitness program.
You will learn:
- Essentials of healthy lifestyle habits among young children
- Components of an effective pre-school fitness program
- Medical, social and physical benefits of an appropriate fitness program for children
- Concepts of child psychology to manage children’s behavior in an active setting
- Medical consequences of overeating and inactivity for small children
- Examples of appropriate exercises for pre-school children in regard to strength training, aerobic exercise, stretching and sports skill development
- Nutritional deficiencies common in pre-school children, and recommended exercises
Two thirds of new members at health clubs cite weight management as their primary reason for joining and this is no more evident than at the start of the New Year. Yet successful weight management continues to elude many clients and fitness professionals for a multitude of reasons. In this recorded webinar, originally broadcast January 18, 2011 and hosted by Exercise Physiologist, Fabio Comana, discover new strategies to spearhead your efforts to tackle the weight management challenge. Fitness professionals will learn time-tested and new approaches to nutrition, activity/exercise and behavioral change. Deliver the results your clients seek at the New Year and beyond using weight management strategies that really work.
You will learn:
- Define the key challenges faced in weight management.
- Explain cues and triggers to unhealthy behavior.
- Identify specific time-tested and new approaches to effective weight management.
- Distinguish successful nutrition, activity and behavioral change methods with demonstrated success from traditional practices.
- Develop a multi-faceted approach to overcome individual weight challenges.