IAFF + IAFC Peer Fitness Trainer Certification
The job of fighting fires and responding to emergency situations is one of the most dangerous and physically demanding professions. To help improve the safety, performance and quality of life of uniformed personnel in the fire service, the Peer Fitness Trainer (PFT) Certification was developed by the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF), International Association of Fire Chiefs (IAFC) and ACE.
Throughout the United States and Canada, the PFT Certification identifies fire fighters who have demonstrated the knowledge and skills required to design and implement fitness programs, improve the wellness and fitness of their departments and assist with the physical training of recruits during challenging entry tests. The role of a Peer Fitness Trainer differs from a Personal Trainer since fire service personnel have very specific needs and an extreme work environment well beyond what the average exerciser will ever face.
Become a Peer Fitness Trainer
For complete details on the PFT Certification Program, please review the PFT Candidate Information Guide on IAFF's website.
Learn More View Schedule
Your ACE certification is valid for two years from the date of your successful examination. To maintain your certification, you must earn 1.2 continuing education credits (CECs) every two years through ACE-approved courses or professional activities.
How to Recertify:
- Earn. 1.2 Continuing Education Credits
Each ACE-approved CEC equals one academic hour. You should expect to spend 12 hours on in-class time, plus additional study time, to earn 1.2 CECs. ACE offers hundreds of courses that count as CECs, including correspondence courses, practical and comprehensive training, exam prep and live classes taught nationwide.
- Be sure your adult CPR certificate is current*
Did you just renew your CPR certificate? Update your information online
- Recertify online or, sign/complete the PFT recertification application by mail
- Send your recertification form and payment to ACE
Once your recertification application is received, please allow 4 to 6 weeks for your card and certificate to arrive.
If your certification has expired: You no longer have access to the ACE Pro Site. Please call Professional Services at 1-888-825-3636, or email email@example.com, for help recertifying.
Recertify to Stay Active!
If you have previously completed a fire fighter specific course you can verify the details here.
Find Continuing Education
There are many options available to you to meet the 1.2 CEC requirement, including the following:
- Complete any IAFF/IAFC/ACE-approved continuing education course.
- Attend an IAFF/IAFC/ACE-approved event (e.g.; ACE Symposium, Phoenix Health & Safety Conference, Redmond Symposium)
- Sucessfully pass a current or archived ACE ProSource quiz. All ACE ProSource quizzes have a course fee of $30 per quiz and a value of 0.2 CEC. Archived issues of ACE ProSource can be found online.
- Maintain a current certificate in CPR, AED, First Aid and/or EMT. Each safety certificate is approved for 0.1 CEC (for a total of 0.3 CEC). Verification is required via a mailed or faxed copy of your certificate(s) with a request for CECs.
- Sucessfully pass the ACE Personal Trainer Certification Exam
- Computer-based Testing format (Your special price = $199)
- Live pencil & paper format (Your special price = $150)
For more information on the ACE Personal Trainer Certification including exam dates, visit the Fitness Certifications Section.
For additional information on continuing education requirements, please contact ACE at 1-888-825-3636, Ext. 782.