Learn to communicate effectively with younger age groups prone to nutrition problems like obesity, eating disorders, extreme dieting, fads and food fetishes. Since chronic diseases often originate with poor eating habits, intervention is often essential to ensure they don’t take unhealthy habits into adulthood. Discover stages of change and how you can help address potential nutrient intake problems.
You will learn:
- How physical growth and development of adolescents and young adults influence nutritional counseling needs
- Insight-oriented and action-oriented counseling theories
- Stages of change and barriers that prevent application by adolescents and young adults
- To identify at-risk adolescents and young adults, and strategies to address potential nutrient intake problems
- Criteria for anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and other eating disorders
- The appeal of fad diets and a counseling approach that helps you respond positively to client questions