Based on content from the ACE Advanced Health & Fitness Specialist Manual, this online course presents fitness professionals with the epidemiology and diagnostic criteria for major metabolic diseases and disorders, including overweight and obesity, the metabolic syndrome and diabetes mellitus. Treatment approaches, including the role of exercise, also are covered for each condition.
You will learn:
- Describe the major health-related physiological effects of overweight and obesity, the metabolic syndrome, and diabetes mellitus
- List the various types of diagnostic tests used to identify overweight and obesity, the metabolic syndrome, and diabetes mellitus
- Understand which fitness assessments are appropriate to use for individuals with metabolic diseases and disorders
- List common treatment procedures for metabolic diseases and disorders, including preventative, pharmaceutical, surgical, and exercise-related approaches
- Describe specific biomechanical considerations for obese clients
- Explain the role of exercise in glucose regulation and diabetes management for clients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- List the risks of exercise in clients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Understand and implement exercise recommendations for individuals with metabolic conditions, including overweight and obesity, the metabolic syndrome, and diabetes mellitus
This course is included in our Therapeutic Exercise Specialty Certification.
Learn more about how you can become a specialist. »