Pressure to be thin and fear of obesity have resulted in about 8 million Americans developing clinical eating disorders. Many of them are adolescent girls, for whom nutritional deprivation can have severe and lasting consequences. Older adults and athletes are also at risk. Learn how to diagnose and treat anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorders with emphasis on assessment techniques, counseling strategies and nutritional interventions.
You will learn:
- Warning signs and diagnostic criteria for anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and binge eating disorder
- Primary goals of eating disorder treatment
- Criteria for inpatient treatment for patients suffering from eating disorders and necessary components of nutrition education
- Difference between males and females in terms of risk factors, symptom presentation and treatment of anorexia nervosa
- Lifestyle characteristics of athletes that increase potential for eating disorder development