Fitness and allied health professionals who want to make a resounding difference in the way people live use a number of behavior-based tools to motivate, inspire and encourage their clients to live healthier lives. One principle key to unlocking common resistance to adopting healthy lifestyle choices is a personalized, collaborative approach to motivational interviewing. Research supports motivational interviewing as a powerfully effective method associated with positive behavioral outcomes. In this webinar led by behavioral psychologist Dr. Michael Mantell, you’ll discover how to use motivational interviewing to not only help your clients but also differentiate yourself as an advanced professional.
You will learn:
- A practical understanding of the style and spirit of motivational interviewing
- Four underlying principles to use in everyday practice including expressing empathy, developing discrepancy, rolling with resistance and supporting self-efficacy
- A practical approach to the Stages of Change model
- OARS micro-skills of program planning, comprised of open-ended questions, affirmations, reflective listening, and summaries
- Traps that coaches often stumble over, and steps to avoid them