The dos and don’ts of nutrition during pregnancy have changed so often in the past 30 years, some women have no idea what they actually need. Give your female clients a comprehensive understanding of nutritional recommendations, guidelines of pregnancy weight gain by the Institute of Medicine, and the role of Vitamin D and other nutrients. You’ll also explore PMS, oral contraceptives, adolescent pregnancies, gestational and pregestational diabetes, and epigenetics.
You will learn:
- Metabolic alterations that occur with the use of oral contraceptives, and three nutrient requirements that have recently changed
- Relationship of fetal development to nutrient requirements by trimester
- Proper weight gain for pregnant women who are normal weight, underweight or overweight at time of conception
- Current intake recommendations during pregnancy for calories, protein, sodium, iron, folic acid, zinc and calcium
- To determine a plan of nutrient supplementation for pregnant women who are well nourished, poorly nourished or anemic at time of conception
- Solutions for common complaints during pregnancy including nausea, vomiting, heartburn and constipation