The American Cancer Society estimates that 1/3 of all cancer deaths in 2006 were related to nutrition, physical inactivity and/or obesity/overweight. Due to earlier detection and better treatment options, survival rates for individuals diagnosed with cancer continue to increase. Fitness professionals can play a meaningful role in helping these individuals recover from a life-threatening disease and take new steps towards a healthier lifestyle. This online course will help you learn how to work safely and effectively with persons diagnosed with various types of cancer. You’ll understand the role of exercise in cancer prevention and recovery, as well as considerations for developing a workable exercise program that takes into account the unique challenges of your client.
- Identify common types of cancer and discuss statistics related to cancer incidence and prognosis.
- List risk factors associated with cancer.
- Discuss the role of physical activity in the prevention of cancer and the rehabilitation of the cancer patient.
- Describe exercise program recommendations for individuals recovering from cancer.
- Understand how the medications and complications of cancer/cancer treatment will affect the exercise program.
Course contents include:
Steps to completing this course
- Go to http://www.acefitness.org/acestore and log in.
- Click on "Online Learning Courses" in the "My Account" section.
- Choose your course and complete as necessary.
- After successful completion of the quiz your CECs will automatically be added to your ACE account.
Please note: This online only course does not include a book/DVD/CD. You will not receive any additional items by mail when making your purchase.
|Recommended System Specifications
|The ACE Online Learning courses are designed for the best experience using a system that meets the following specifications:
|*All pop up blockers should be disabled (includes Yahoo! and Google toolbars)