Ever wonder why people believe the quick-fix marketing schemes some companies and organizations make for their products? Explore how psychological and cultural factors allow unscrupulous practitioners to promote unsound products, and how you can sift through their claims. Analyze several new weight loss diets, “fat burners” and “performance enhancers.” Learn new federal supplement regulations and how they’ve impacted weight loss and sexual enhancement supplements.
You will learn:
- To define food faddism, cultism and quackery
- The placebo effect, and two clinical tricks commonly used by unscientific practitioners
- Components of a scientific assessment of nutritional status
- 10 ways to recognize nutrition quackery and methods for evaluating nutrition claims
- Three different categories of harm done by quackery and an example of each
- Tips for combating nutrition quackery