According to President Theodore Roosevelt, "Far and away the best prize that life offers is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."
While being a fitness professional gives you the unique opportunity to help people live their most fit lives, you can't help without getting a j-o-b. For newly certified personal trainers and group fitness instructors, that three-letter word can be a source of great anxiety. Knowing where to begin in the industry can be difficult, but the good news is there are a number of employers looking for qualified candidates. You just need to know where to look and how to stand out among your peers.
The hardest part of searching for a job is knowing where to look. There are a number of organizations that hire ACE-certified professionals and corresponding search engines that list open positions. You can search nationwide openings at well-respected organizations by starting with the links below:
Once you know where to search for job postings, it's important you follow up by putting smart business practices into play. Improve your odds by following the steps below. Additional information about each of these steps can be found on our ACE blogs.
- Develop a professional portfolio to stand out among your peers
- Remove undesirable or inappropriate content on your social media pages and update your LinkedIn online resume
- Review the job descriptions to make sure you understand what’s expected
- Do a personal audit to ensure your knowledge, skills and abilities fit the organization
- Improve on any weaknesses you may have
- Practice interviewing questions
- Be ready to demonstrate your practical skills
If you need a jumpstart on improving your business savvy, make sure to check out our 2.0 CECs Personal Trainer Career Launch Bundle, designed for personal trainers certified in the past 18 months and those looking to take their business to the next level.