As you probably know by now, your CECs can be earned through various live venues such as workshops or conferences, as well as from the comfort of your home through online courses. However, are you aware of the numerous other ways you can earn CECs and how you can redeem those credits to use toward your recertification?
Ok, I did it! Now how does ACE get it?
Once you complete an ACE-approved course, you will be issued a certificate of completion listing the ACE-approved course number typically in the format of CEP/CP/CA/CS/CL followed by 5 or 6 numbers (for example, CA23456 or CEP123456). For events with multiple courses, such as conferences, there will be one umbrella number that encompasses all approved sessions.
After you log into your ACE account, select the “My CECs” link underneath “My Continuing Education.” Once you’re redirected to your CEC page, simply type the course number into the appropriate box. The CEC total should automatically fill in after entering the course number (*for conferences, total up the number of CECs you earned at the session you attended). After this, simply input the completion date in MM/DD/YYYY format and select “Add CECs”. When you refresh the CEC list, your new credits should be visible.
If you were not provided the appropriate ACE-approved course number, you can obtain that information by contacting the course provider. If you have completed a course that’s not currently ACE-approved, you can submit a petition form either via mail, fax, or email along with the necessary supporting documentation to potentially receive credit.
Are there additional ways to earn CECs?
In addition to furthering your knowledge and skills through quality continuing education courses and events, there are a few additional ways you can continue to expand and evolve your knowledge within the fitness industry and earn CECs in the process-
- Renewed CPR/AED? A 1-year CPR/AED certification will merit a total of 0.2 CECs. You’ll earn 0.4 CECs with a 2-year certification.
- Attending college? Earning a grade of ‘C’ or above in any exercise science, anatomy, or health and fitness-related course will transfer 1.0 CECs for every 1.0 semester unit, or 0.8 CECs for every 1.0 quarter unit.
- Thinking of doubling up? Earning another ACE certification will meet the 2.0 CEC requirements to renew your current ACE certification. Also keep in mind CEC credits will apply to both certifications if earned during both certification cycles. This is important to know - just because you double up on certifications doesn’t mean you have to double up on CECs!
- Earning other Credentials? Obtaining an NCCA-accredited fitness-related certification for another organization will result in 0.5 CECs being awarded to you.
- Presenting? Professional presentations concerning information relating to the health and fitness industry can earn up to 0.5 CECs per renewal cycle.
- Publishing? Publishing fitness related articles, books or peer-reviewed journals can net you up to 0.5 CECs per renewal cycle.
- Giving back? Community outreach in a fitness-related capacity can lead to up to 0.2 CECs per renewal cycle.
If you have any additional questions regarding earning and redeeming CECs, contact our Educational Services Department at 1 800-825-3636, ext. 782.