June 18, 2012, 11:19AM PT in Exam Preparation Blog |
Mastering Master the Manual
Have you taken a moment to familiarize yourself with the Master the Manual study guide that arrived with your study bundle? If so, then you probably already know this will be a handy tool for you to use while studying for the ACE exam; but if not, this post is going to help you learn more about why this is such a great tool to have in your arsenal of study materials.
Master the Manual is the study guide you will want to use when preparing for your ACE exam. As you have probably already learned, ACE manuals are extremely comprehensive. There is more information in the manuals than you will be held accountable for on the ACE exam, as the manual is designed to serve as both a study guide and a career resource. That being said, the study guide helps you focus more on the topics that are more likely to be addressed on the exam. In the Master the Manual you will see various types of questions (e.g. multiple-choice, fill-in the blank, matching, free-response).
** Please note that the actual ACE Exam will be comprised of ONLY multiple choice questions. That being said, there is still a lot of value in answering questions in other formats.
To help you become more familiar with the study guide, you should know that it is divided into four sections:
- Getting Started: This section will introduce you to the material that will be presented in the associated chapter in corresponding manual (be it Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, Lifestyle & Weight Management Coach, or Advanced Health & Fitness Specialist).
- Expand Your Knowledge: This section will test your understanding of the material by challenging you with exercises and drills.
- Show What You Know: This section gives you the opportunity to, as it says, ‘show what you know’ by applying what you have learned to real-life situations.
- Practice What You Know: This section will offer you the chance to further develop your skills in certain chapters.
Now that you are familiar with the format of Master the Manual, it is time to put your study guide to use. ACE recommends that you follow these steps when using the study guide:
- READ: Read the student objectives for each chapter so that you know what you are meant to learn as you read through the corresponding ACE manual (be it Personal Trainer, Group Fitness Instructor, Lifestyle & Weight Management Coach, or Advanced Health & Fitness Specialist). As you read through the chapter, take notes, highlight and pay attention to boldface vocabulary words.
- DEFINE: At the end of each chapter take a moment to define the boldface vocabulary words from the chapter. It is recommended that you write these definitions down as putting your thoughts into words will help you better remember the material.
- EXERCISES: Upon completion of defining vocabulary words, skim the chapter again and then attempt to do the exercises in the Master the Manual without referencing the ACE manual. You can check your answers against the key located in Appendix B at the back of the Master the Manual. While correcting your answers, make a note of the questions that you answered incorrectly and then go back to the ACE manual to learn WHY your answer is incorrect so that you better understand the concept in the future.
- FINAL NOTES: Return to the student objectives at the start of each chapter of Master the Manual and identify any areas that are still unclear or that you would like to learn more about. Refer to those areas in the related sections of the ACE manual.
- BONUS: Each chapter includes 10 multiple-choice questions that mirror the style and difficulty level of questions seen on the actual ACE exam. Do your best to answer these questions without referencing the ACE Manual. The answer key for these questions can also be found in Appendix B of Master the Manual.
As mentioned previously, using the Master the Manual study guide is a great study tool that will help you prepare for the ACE exam so please take advantage of this great opportunity! If you have specific question about a topic as your prepare for your exam, feel free to contact our ACE Resource Center for additional assistance.