March 8, 2010, 04:07PM PT in Exam Preparation Blog |
What If I'm Not Ready to Take the Exam?
It happens. You’ve been studying and preparing for your ACE certification exam. You’ve set the date and maybe even gotten directions to the location (hint, they’re on your admission ticket). But then…something changes. You wake up certain that you’re going to forget everything you know. Or maybe you get that call from your sister reminding you that you’re in her Saturday wedding . Yes, the same Saturday you scheduled your exam. Maybe the morning of your exam you have to take your kid in for emergency appendix surgery. These things happen. So what do you do?
If you fall into the ‘I’m not ready’ category, why not take the exam anyway on your scheduled day? I bet you’re more ready than you think. Also, by taking the exam on your scheduled date you will receive a detailed score report. If you fail the exam, this report can provide you detailed information about what areas you are strong in and what areas are going to need additional preparation. Valuable information you won’t receive if you cancel due to ‘nerves’. And who knows? Maybe you’ll pass the exam with flying colors.
But if you are committed to not taking the test on that day, the first question to ask yourself is, am I cancelling my exam or do I want to reschedule? There are fees involved in both choices, and I’d recommend that you think carefully about your plans for the future. Unless you’ve changed your mind, joined the French Foreign Legion, or signed up for that Mars rover trip, cancelling the exam is equivalent to saying – I don’t plan to take this test…ever.
If you don’t fall into that category, then rescheduling is the choice for you. Before you go into your account to make that decision it’s advisable to have a date in mind for your test. Remember that for computer based testing it is usually 15 days minimum into the future. If you originally scheduled for a computer based test, that is what you will reschedule for; if you originally scheduled for a paper and pencil test, then that is what you will reschedule for. There is a onetime only option on rescheduling. You can’t keep putting it off.
The nitty gritty details are as follows:
Reschedule of exam:
- Log into your ACE account, select ‘My Exams’, select ‘Reschedule Exam’
- Fees - $149 to reschedule a CBT, $135 to reschedule a paper/pencil exam
- You should receive notification of approval or unavailability for the new date within 2 – 3 business days.
- Prepare to sit for your next exam (keep studying!)
Cancellation of Exam:
- All candidates must write to the Exam Registration Dept. 30 days before the scheduled exam date. You cannot cancel an exam via the web. You can write via snail mail or by email at email@example.com
- Fees – 50% of exam certification fee (which you’ve probably already paid)
- To request an exam fee refund of up to 50% of the exam fee, submit a written request to ACE Exam Registration postmarked or electronically date stamped (via email) no later than 30 days prior to the originally scheduled exam date.
- Yes, this means last minute cancellations aren’t possible. If you are registered for a computer based test, cancellation may not be an option for you. If you are an international exam candidate cancellation is not an option for you.
But…but…but you have a special issue! Maybe there was a serious illness, or a death, or a natural disaster (no, having to work is not a natural disaster) and you want to speak with someone about your options. If this is the case you want to contact Exam Registration (1-888-825-3636 x783) as soon as possible and ideally prior to the exam date. Like I mentioned before, these things happen. And if they happen to you call us up to talk about the possibilities. We will ask for documentation of the ‘issue’ (Exam Reg knows what they will need)
Our goal is to have you study, prepare, and sit for your exam on the date you choose. But sometimes things happen and you need to change your plans. If that’s the case just remember that there are options.
Questions? Contact an Education Consultant at 1-888-825-3636 x782 or Exam Registration at 1-888-825-3636 x783.