- 3 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 ounces Canadian bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice (1 3/4 cups)
- 2 medium hea frisée, or curly-leaf endive lettuce, torn (8 cups)
- 1 large shallot,minced
- 3 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, plus more to taste
- 4 large eggs
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon; cook, stirring, until brown and crisp, about 8 minutes.
Use a slotted spoon to transfer the bacon to a large bowl. Add lettuce to the bowl. Add shallot to the pan and cook over medium heat, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour this mixture onto the lettuce; toss to coat.
Meanwhile, bring about 1 inch of water to a boil in a medium skillet. Crack each egg into a small bowl and slip them one at a time into the boiling water, taking care not to break the yolks. Reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and poach the eggs until the yolks are just set, 4 to 5 minutes.
Divide the salad among 4 plates. Top each serving with a poached egg. Grind pepper over the top and serve immediately.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 263
- Carbohydrates: 8g
- Fat: 18g
- Protein: 17g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 11g
- Cholesterol: 232mg
- Potassium: 589mg
- Sodium: 902mg
- Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 2 lean protein, 2 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2