- 2 cups cake flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour, or whole-wheat pastry flour (see Ingredient Note)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoon cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 4 tablespoon reduced-fat cream cheese, (Neufchâtel)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 3 tablespoon nonfat buttermilk, (see Tip)
- 4 cups sliced hulled strawberries, (about 1 1/4 pounds whole)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
To prepare shortcakes: Preheat oven to 400°F.
Whisk cake flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in butter using two knives or a pastry cutter until the pieces are about the size of peas. Cut in cream cheese until it’s the size of peas. Drizzle oil over the mixture; stir with a fork until just combined (the mixture will be crumbly). Make a well in the center and add egg and buttermilk. Gradually stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients with a fork until the mixture is evenly moist. Knead the mixture in the bowl two or three times until it holds together.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Dust with flour and roll into an 8-by-10-inch rectangle about 1/2 inch thick. Cut the edges square using a butter knife. Cut the dough into 12 equal shortcakes. Transfer to a baking sheet.
Bake the shortcakes until puffed and lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Let cool slightly.
To prepare filling: Toss strawberries with sugar in a medium bowl. Whisk whipping cream in a medium bowl until it’s thick and holds its shape, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in sour cream until combined.
To serve, split the shortcakes horizontally. Spoon the berries and juice onto the bottoms, top with the cream mixture and replace the shortcake tops.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 303
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fat: 14g
- Protein: 5g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 48mg
- Potassium: 157mg
- Sodium: 138mg
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 other carbohydrates, 3 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2