- Pickled Onions
- 1 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 small red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, (see Note)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 4 whole-wheat buns, split
- 8 teaspoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
To prepare pickled onions: Whisk vinegar, brown sugar, salt and allspice in a medium glass bowl. Cover and microwave on High until the mixture boils, 2 to 3 minutes. (Alternatively, bring the mixture to a boil in a small saucepan on the stove.) Add onion and toss to coat.
To prepare burgers: Preheat grill to high. Place turkey in a medium bowl and gently mix in cilantro, cumin, ground chipotle, salt and allspice until distributed throughout the meat. Form the mixture into 4 patties. Brush with oil.
Grill the burgers until cooked through and no longer pink in the center, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Toast buns on the grill, if desired.
Drain the onion, discarding the marinade. Spread 2 teaspoons mayonnaise on each bun; top with a burger and pickled onions.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 308
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fat: 12g
- Protein: 26g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Potassium: 150mg
- Sodium: 738mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2