- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 large ripe but firm plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 medium clo garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere, Comte, fontina or mozzarella che
Heat a 12-inch heavy stainless-steel or cast-iron skillet over medium heat until hot enough to sizzle a drop of water. Add oil. Arrange tomatoes cut-side down in the pan and cook, uncovered, until just tender and the undersides are darkened, 10 to 15 minutes.
Mix parsley and garlic in a small bowl.
Using a wide spatula, carefully turn each tomato cut-side up. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Sprinkle each tomato with sugar (if using), salt and pepper, followed by equal portions of the parsley mixture and shredded cheese. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Serve warm.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 178
- Carbohydrates: 7g
- Fat: 14g
- Protein: 7g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 8g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Potassium: 344mg
- Sodium: 317mg
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 high-fat meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2