- 2 tablespoon reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 8 1/2-inch s eggplant, (about 1 small)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 8 slices whole-grain country bread
- 8 thin slice fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced jarred roasted red peppers
- 4 thin slice red onion
Preheat grill to medium-high.
Combine mayonnaise and basil in a small bowl. Using 1 tablespoon oil, lightly brush both sides of eggplant and sprinkle each slice with garlic salt. With the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, brush one side of each slice of bread.
Grill the eggplant for 6 minutes, turn with a spatula, top with cheese, and continue grilling until the cheese is melted and the eggplant is tender, about 4 minutes more. Toast the bread on the grill, 1 to 2 minutes per side.
To assemble sandwiches: Spread basil mayonnaise on four slices of bread. Top with the cheesy eggplant, red peppers, onion and the remaining slices of bread. Cut in half and serve warm.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 337
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fat: 16g
- Protein: 12g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Potassium: 353mg
- Sodium: 659mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high fat meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2