- 2 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon sake, (see Ingredient Note) or dry white wine
- 2 tablespoon mirin, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 12 small-to-medium dry sea scallops, (about 10 ounces) or 6 large, cut in half (see Ingredient Note), tough muscle removed
- 8 medium button mushrooms, halved
- 6 scallions
Combine soy sauce, sake (or wine), mirin, sugar, molasses, Worcestershire and ginger in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until reduced to 1/4 cup, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat, pour into a medium bowl, and cool to room temperature, 15 to 20 minutes.
Reserve 1 tablespoon of the sauce in a small bowl. Add scallops and mushrooms to the remaining sauce; stir well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes (but no longer: the scallops will begin to break down if marinated too long).
Preheat grill to medium. Oil the grill rack (see Tip).
Trim scallion whites and reserve for another use. Separate the scallion greens into individual long greens. Wrap one scallion green around the perimeter of each scallop and thread the scallops onto the skewers, piercing through the sides and thereby keeping the scallions in place. Alternate 4 mushroom halves and 3 scallion-wrapped scallops on each skewer. (Reserve any remaining scallion greens for another use.)
Grill the skewers, basting with some of the ?reserved sauce, for 3 minutes. Turn, baste, and continue grilling just until the scallops are firm and opaque, about 3 minutes more.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 229
- Carbohydrates: 19g
- Fat: 1g
- Protein: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 47mg
- Potassium: 894mg
- Sodium: 644mg
- Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1