- 12 ounces fresh spinach, (see Note)
- 1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, or low-fat cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Pulse spinach in three batches in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add ricotta (or cottage cheese), Parmesan, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
Coat 8 cups of the muffin pan with cooking spray. Divide the spinach mixture among the 8 cups (they will be very full).
Bake the spinach cakes until set, about 20 minutes. Let stand in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges with a knife and turn out onto a clean cutting board or large plate. Serve warm, sprinkled with more Parmesan, if desired.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 141
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 13g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 123mg
- Potassium: 560mg
- Sodium: 456mg
- Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 medium-fat meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1