- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, (1 3/4 ounces)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa, preferably Dutch-process
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup fruit-based fat replacement, such as Lighter Bake, or unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 cups grated zucchini, (1 medium)
Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat two 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pans with cooking spray.
Spread walnuts in a pie pan and bake until fragrant, 5 to 7 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
Whisk eggs, sugar, fruit-based fat replacement (or applesauce), oil, vanilla and melted chocolate in another large bowl until blended. Add to the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Fold in zucchini and the reserved walnuts. Spoon the batter into the prepared pans, smoothing the tops.
Bake the loaves 55 to 60 minutes, or until the tops are golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Invert onto rack and cool completely.
- Serving: Per slice
- Calories: 239
- Carbohydrates: 38g
- Fat: 8g
- Protein: 4g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 40mg
- Potassium: 97mg
- Sodium: 143mg
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2