- 1 pound ground buffalo, (bison)
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice, (see Tip)
- 1/2 cup shredded smoked cheese, such as Cheddar, Gouda or mozzarella
- 2 tablespoon smoky barbecue sauce, divided
- 1 tablespoon paprika, preferably sweet Hungarian
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon sweet pepper relish, or pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 4 slices tomato
- 4 thin slice sweet onion, such as Vidalia
Preheat grill to medium.
Place meat, rice, cheese, 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce, paprika, mustard, garlic, pepper and salt in a large bowl. Gently combine, without overmixing, until evenly incorporated. Form into 4 equal patties, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick.
Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce, mayonnaise, relish and horseradish in a small bowl.
Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the burgers until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 155°F, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
Assemble the burgers on buns with the barbecue mayonnaise sauce, tomato and onion.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 434
- Carbohydrates: 36g
- Fat: 19g
- Protein: 29g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Potassium: 301mg
- Sodium: 721mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2