- 1/2 small sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Walla Walla, cut into thin rounds
- 12 ounces lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs, (see Note)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat English muffins, split
- 4 lettuce leaves
- 1/4 cup Cherry Ketchup, (recipe follows)
Place onion in a medium bowl, cover with ice water and let soak while you prepare burgers.
Preheat grill to medium (see Broiler Variation).
Place beef in a large bowl and gently mix in cherries, breadcrumbs, garlic, vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper until combined. Divide into 4 equal portions and form into 1/2-inch-thick patties. Make a slight impression in the center of each. (This is so the patties cook evenly and don’t puff up.)
Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the patties until browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 160°F, 5 to 6 minutes per side.
Toast English muffins. Drain the onions. Assemble the burgers on the English muffins with onion slices, lettuce and about 1 tablespoon Cherry Ketchup each.
Broiler variation: Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray. Broil patties 3 to 4 inches from the heat source until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 160°F, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 431
- Carbohydrates: 54g
- Fat: 10g
- Protein: 32g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Potassium: 175mg
- Sodium: 587mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 3 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3