- 1/2 cup Black Japonica rice blend, or long-grain brown rice (see Note)
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium zucchini, shredded using the large holes of a box grater
- 1 tablespoon walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds 93%-lean ground beef
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup mango chutney, plus more for serving, if desired
Bring rice and water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer at the lowest bubble until the water is absorbed and the rice is tender, 30 to 50 minutes (see Test Kitchen Note). Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, squeeze any excess moisture from zucchini. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add onion, celery and the zucchini; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder; cook 1 minute. Stir in Worcestershire sauce and salt until combined. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool for 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a rimmed baking sheet or broiler pan with cooking spray.
Spoon the cooked rice onto a clean cutting board and chop the grains into small bits with a large knife. Transfer to the bowl with the vegetables, add ground beef and egg and gently mix until just combined. Place the mixture on the prepared pan and shape into a loaf, about 10 inches by 5 inches. Spread chutney evenly over the top.
Bake until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meatloaf registers 165°F, 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours. Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional mango chutney, if desired.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 340
- Carbohydrates: 20g
- Fat: 14g
- Protein: 33g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 113mg
- Potassium: 148mg
- Sodium: 587mg
- Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 4 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 1