- 12 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
- 2 cups finely chopped portobello mushroom caps, (about 2), gills removed
- 3 tablespoon plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 8 teaspoons pickle relish
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, (2 ounces)
Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Line a broiler pan with foil.
Gently mix beef, mushrooms, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Shape into 4 patties and place on the prepared pan. Broil until cooked though, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
Meanwhile, toast bread. Rub each slice of toast with garlic.
Place 1 patty on each piece of toast, top each with 2 teaspoons relish and cover with a slice of cheese. Remove foil and place the sandwiches on the pan; broil until the cheese is just melted, 30 to 60 seconds.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 299
- Carbohydrates: 26g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 25g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Potassium: 412mg
- Sodium: 583mg
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2