- 1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- 3/4 cup hoisin sauce, (see Ingredient Note)
- 5 tablespoon rice vinegar, divided
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 strip (2-b orange zest
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed, each cut into 3 crosswise strips
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup long- or medium-grain brown rice
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced scallion greens, divided
Combine raspberries, hoisin sauce, 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, garlic, orange zest, ginger, pepper and crushed red pepper in a blender or food processor. Blend or process until smooth, about 1 minute. Set aside 1/4 cup for a dipping sauce.
Transfer the remaining marinade to a medium bowl and add chicken; stir to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 24 hours.
Combine water and rice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until most of the liquid has been absorbed, 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, until ready to serve.
Preheat grill to medium-high or preheat the broiler to high.
Meanwhile, remove the chicken from the marinade, scrape off excess (discard marinade), and thread onto 4 skewers, distributing equally.
Grill the chicken until browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. If using the broiler, place the chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray and broil 4 inches from the heat source until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side.
Just before serving, sprinkle the rice with the remaining 2 tablespoons vinegar and 1/4 cup scallions; fluff with a fork. Sprinkle the chicken and rice with the remaining scallions. Serve with the reserved dipping sauce.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 398
- Carbohydrates: 44g
- Fat: 11g
- Protein: 28g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Potassium: 376mg
- Sodium: 313mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 3