- 4 1/2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots, (2 large shallots)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper, (cayenne)
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 pork tenderloin, about 12 ounces, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 ears fresh corn, husked and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into 3/4-inch squares
- 4 corn tortillas
- 6 cups washed, dried and torn spinach leaves, (about 6 ounces)
Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons of the oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add shallots, chili powder, garlic and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in ground red pepper, broth and lime juice. Let cool to room temperature.
Combine pork and half of the shallot marinade in a shallow dish just large enough to hold the meat. Stir to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours, stirring once or twice.
Whisk the remaining 1 tablespoon oil into the remaining marinade and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to use as salad dressing.
Preheat grill. Remove the pork from the marinade. (Discard the marinade.) Thread the pork, corn and bell peppers on 4 long or 8 short skewers, placing the vegetables at the ends and the pork in the center.
Grill, turning once or twice, until the pork is browned and cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. During the last few minutes of grilling, set tortillas at the edge of the grill and toast lightly, turning often with tongs.
Toss spinach in a bowl with the reserved dressing. Transfer to a serving platter and arrange the skewers on top. Cut the toasted tortillas into quarters and use to garnish the edge of the platter.
- Serving: Per serving
- Calories: 439
- Carbohydrates: 47g
- Fat: 14g
- Protein: 33g
- Dietary Fiber: 12g
- Saturated Fat: 3g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 3g
- Cholesterol: 68mg
- Potassium: 891mg
- Sodium: 213mg
- Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat, 1 fat
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2